You should arrive 30 minutes prior to scan time to fill out paperwork and be interviewed by a technologist. The technologist will ask questions about your medical history and any implanted metal devices. There is no prep for MRI. If you are taking medication, please continue to do so as prescribed by your physician. MRI is susceptible to motion, so it is very important that you are pain-free and able to lie still.
If you wish, you may fill out paperwork online beforehand or print the patient information sheets and fill them out at home–don’t forget to bring them to the appointment with you. Patients should still arrive at their appointment 15-20 minutes prior to their scheduled time, however, to provide signatures and additional information if necessary.
Please read the following if you are preparing for an Open MRI:
- Wear clothing free of metal – no zippers, metal buttons, etc
- Please notify technologist if you are pregnant or nursing
- Gowns and robes will be provided for your convenience
- Remove watches, credit cards and jewelry
- Scan time is 30-45 minutes
- Scanner is loud; you will be offered earplugs or headsets for music
- You must hold very still during exam
- Family members may accompany you into the actual scan suite
- Claustrophobia is typically not an issue in our open environment
- Your report will be sent to your referring physician within 24 hours